Specifically on walls. I would like to get the curves of a material and place a family on these intersection. The reason is, we are wanting to place a metal panel family at each location.
John you can try using below script as reference. I use this script for placing void family in duct where its intersects with walls.
Hey John, did you ever figure out how to do what you want? I’m wanting to extract the “curves” of a ceiling pattern, like a 2x4 ACT grid.
Late reply… But @Josh_Moore, I was not able to get this to work. Surface patterns are not accessible.
thanks @john_pierson , I assume this is api limitation?
Hi John, what about filled region patterns - are we able to extract curves from those? Thanks!
Boundary (sketch) curves yes, pattern curves no. (Somebody please prove me wrong). There is this post that discusses a bit of this though, https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-api-forum/dimension-on-hatch-pattern-slab/td-p/7063302
With the API I have done this in the past roughly like this (only works for planar and circular curve elements):
- Find the normal of the surface of the element.
- Create a section perpendicular to this normal.
- Export the newly created section view to DWG.
- In AutoCAD process the file to explode the hatch.
- Link this DWG back to the same view.
- Access the pattern geometry of the link and do what you need to do.
- Delete the temporary section view when done.