Dynamo Core 2.13 - Release (Parts 1, 2 and 3)

Hi @solamour
I have dynamo core 2.12 installed

How do we install Dynamo Core 2.13?

Check out https://dynamobuilds.com/. Dynamo core (sandbox) should be available as the first link in the official releases.

It has not yet been added to any of the official integration at this time, so no Revit or Civil 3D interaction yet.

1 Like

Part 3/3 is now live! Come read all about it and let us know what you think :smiley:

3 Likes

I mean this is all lovely and stuff… But for those of us who use Dynamo Revit it’s really annoying… Why on earth did Autodesk fix the Dynamo in Revit.
I want to be able to upgrade like I used to be able to! :rage:

Any chance Autodesk will upgrade the Dynamo Revit any time soon?

2 Likes

The number one user complaint on the forums from around 2017 to 2019 was ‘deploying Dynamo for Revit is too hard to manage across all the systems we have to update.’ This was the case by a WIDE margin.

It definitely has some draw backs, but it has a LOT of advantages too. Not only did the complaints stop soon after 2020 came out, but it freed up development resources to build the tools you love today. Look at the pace of releases since that change. It took two years to go from 1.0 to 1.3 - that is 3 added feature sets and a whole lot of big fixes. Since the change it has gone to 13 releases in 4 years, the introduction of Generative Design and a whole bunch of awesome extensions (ie: TuneUp) and new integrations (ie: Alias, Civil3D, FormIt).

I wasn’t a fan when this separation was decided for the same reason you outline above, but I have LOVED the resulting increase in pace.

As far as timing of a Revit release with the newest Dynamo integrated (don’t make any purchasing decisions based on the word of an individual acting in an unofficial role but in a personal capacity on a web forum - this is not advice on how to spend your money), but there is usually a big roll out of Autodesk products in the spring of each year. You can go back though product release notes to get a general timeframe on ‘when’ that might occur.

6 Likes

Surely though they didn’t HAVE to upgrade, it was their choice.
I get what you’re saying but I miss having that choice.
Also it’s like seeing all the lovely new toys I can’t have.

The bit about >> don’t spend your money based on this << made me smile :smiley:

2 Likes

Dynamo Sandbox is always an option. You can utilize it to see what the new features will be like, and learn new techniques (ie: Custom Node Development, Design Script including custom definitions and imperative code blocks, Python concepts and looping) and a LOT of production work in every phase of design. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I could… but then I’d sit at my desk and feel sad all day knowing I was stuck working with Dynamo Revit…
Right now I know there are sexy new features but I’ve not experienced them so I can keep telling myself they’re maybe not that good…
#LifeOfAnArchitectIsNotAllFunAndGames :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

@Alien Jacob answered your questions very eloquently, so I don’t have much to add on that front :slight_smile: Suffice it to say that, while we do believe there are many advantages to the current approach over the former, we do see the negatives… with not having access to the “Latest and greatest” being a big one.

We’re in active discussion for how, long term, we can get to a place where your concerns are alleviated without getting into the problems of the past. Watch this space isn’t ideal as we have no timeframe to speak of just yet, but we are listening and we do care just as much as you do :pray:

6 Likes

I saw this in the release notes that were linked earlier in the post.

Does this mean that there are no plans to ship Dynamo 2.13 in the next hotfix of Revit 2022? I suppose that assumes that Revit 2022 will have another hotfix; the last one came out just 5 days ago.

Maybe we will just have to be patient!

1 Like

The Revit team and the Dynamo for Revit team are getting as much shipped as possible, but this means that previous versions don’t get all the great new features. This is similar to building design in many ways. Imagine you only design single family homes, and have just come up with the best bathroom layout ever. It would be great to put this into all your projects, right?

In some cases it just won’t work due to spatial constraints - the whole layout of the rest of the house would have to change and by the time you were done it wouldn’t be the original house anymore. This is the case with software too, where the core components or file format changes are needed to make new things work - once updated you wouldn’t be able to interact with the old build anymore (effectively a project upgrade).

In other instances it might be possible with some significant delays - effectively telling the clients for the new design and the old designs to wait an extra bit of time, as you have to make some fairly significant changes to accommodate both. This degree of coordination might be somewhat achievable with software thanks to robust testing and more manageable expectations, but the delay means that less cool new stuff is out there at each release (note this is sort of what Dynamo for Revit was like when you had to choose which build to deploy).

In some instances it is trivial and the update can be moved over without any impact whatsoever, such as a change to the paint selection to match a more readily available, less expensive, better looking, and higher performing one. This is like a spelling mistake in a menu, or an add-in which is stand-alone being updatable.

Obviously everyone wants everything everywhere but when things fall into the first option it just isn’t possible. When they fall into the second option there is a bit of a judgement call, lately leaning towards ‘innovate’. When they fall into the third option it’s a no brainer ad things are pushed out. Dynamo for Revit 2.0.4 (Revit 2019, 2018, and 2017) is an example of this.

As far as what and when? You are right we will all need to be patient. I include myself in that ‘we’ as I am not on any development team and do not speak for those teams (as stated before don’t buy software based on what I say here), but I would be surprised if we got another update to 2022 based on the prior releases to 2020 and 2021.

4 Likes

Just to confirm any suspicions out there… I did upgrade Revit with the hotfix posted above. It runs with Dynamo 2.12, which is still a significant upgrade in performance and geometric capacity from the last version used in Revit 2021. By the time that many actually start using Dynamo 2.13, I am curious to see what big updates are in store for the next release, that we will again have to wait for! Maybe we will get an upgrade to the Dynamo Player :wink:

2 Likes

Hi @daniel1 - Glad to hear you’ve seen first-hand the performance and geometry boost of 2.12! When 2.13 comes out you should see even more on those fronts :smiley:

The blog posts above (First post) will showcase the majority of what will come out in Dynamo 2.13, but do feel free to read the Release Notes as well for in-depth coverage. If you are curious, a lot of them also link to PR’s (Pull Requests) that are the actual code submission in Github where you can see even more.

As far as Dynamo Player goes - yes, Revit 2023 will be coming out with improvements :wink: Some good stuff incoming!

9 Likes

Hi Karam,
I`m working with the K-family node, which is great! I already discovered it is possible to create a family with multiple objects from dynamo. I would like to create a family containing 1 solid for a wooden window frame and a second solid for a glass window. And maybe a third solid of another color for a door, etc… So one family containing different solids with different materials.
Is this also possible with the K-family node, and if yes how can that be done?
Wouter Hilhorst

@wouter.hilhorst
Hi Wouter, I’m glad it does the job.

Regarding your question.
Most certainly it can, just change the VAROneMaterial to False in the inputs of the node.
And you’ll get each solid associated to a different parameter after the family creation.

Also, you may choose whether you want those parameter to be Instance of Type parameters by changing the VARIsMaterialInstance input to true or false

You can also change the name of the material parameter by changing the input of VARMaterialParameter

K-Family node is full of creative combinations, and everyone of them works, try it and let me know if that works with you.

2 Likes

The new [ 4 ] Modernized Library is a complete mess! I thought they will change this for the new Revit release… Such a pain to use now. Why would you add so many spaces and tabs in the names and use huge fonts, if you have a smaller monitor resolution, good luck finding a node in there.
Such a downgrade over the old library, it was clean, had icons (which made it very intuitive), it was perfect… it feels like going back to Dynamo 1.x …

I’m a relatively new Dynamo user and only use it through Revit at this point, so I’m just now seeing the update. Overall, I like it.

Just a couple of notes (and these might be totally up to user error or settings I can change).

1. This may just take some getting used to, but I’m not crazy about elements automatically being added to groups when they’re dragged into them. I didn’t realize how much I did this before, and maybe its just bad practice, but I keep grouping things that I don’t intend to group. Nesting a group within a group, while also an excellent new feature, feels a little wonky at times.
  2. I love being able to pin connectors. I’m going through and doing some cleanup on my graphs that is making them look so much nicer thanks to this. However, I have issues getting the little pin icon to appear. I have to zoom in and out and fiddle the mouse over a connector and it doesn’t feel like it appears consistently. Again, I might just need to get used to it, but I feel like adding an option when right clicking on the connector to pin it would be super helpful and feel more consistent.

Thanks for the work put into this. It seems like there was way more effort in this than was put into the R23 update…

3 Likes

Hello @mhiser - Happy to provide a couple of thoughts on your points:

1. The dragging a node or group into a group is long asked for behavior from the community - are you trying to move nodes around underneath groups here? Would ask you to try it out for a month or so then let us know what you think :pray:

Also, the nested groups behavior has had a lot of improvements going into Dynamo 2.14, which will manifest inside Revit at the point release (With potentially Dynamo 2.15 also).

2. Mouse hover behavior is tricky… too little and it’s hard to trigger, too much and it happens all the time when you don’t want it to (with annoyance and performance repercussions). Totally get that it’s hard to trigger, and we can look into adding the same option to the right-click wire menu we also added in 2.13.