Dynamo Core 2.13 - Release (Parts 1, 2 and 3)

@Thomas3 - Ok back and have cleared out my backlog :smiley:

1. Glad to hear you’ve found the Modern theme and can customize things - it’s a pretty simple build process to create a version you want to use for printing :raised_hands:

2. The WPF work here is extensive and will be much harder to change, as there are multiple different node types (Node Model, UI Nodes, Code Block Nodes, Standard Nodes, Custom Nodes etc.) that do not all inherit the same things. If you are brave, curious and have the time to spare then have a look at the following elements :nerd_face: :

That will cover the bulk of it, but then also check out Node Redesign by OliverEGreen · Pull Request #11892 · DynamoDS/Dynamo · GitHub to see all the other files that @oliver.green worked through when updating the nodes :slight_smile:

As far as lookup tools go, you can try using SnoopWPF which can help orient you in the tree of elements… Note: I am by no means a master of this! You can also PowerToys to find color hex codes on screen to then use a search in Visual Studio to find all references to that. Here, some elements will pull colors centrally via reference and others are hard coded. There are many reasons behind this, some valid, some legacy that we haven’t the bandwidth to update.

3. We want to be mindful of the color bars, of what state is expressed in which context (Hierarchically) and how many states are represented there. There is a huge amount of information already on teh node space, and more desired (i.e. host application, custom package nodes, function state, active/inactive state etc.) so we need to tread carefully with this.

4. I hear you on the size and color of the nodes from a printing-out perspective. We are optimizing here for the in-product experience, specifically targeting getting new users into product in a way that they can find all the information they need at hand and in context, have discoverable elements and not be overwhelmed. We have ran extensive testing on this with beginner users, but of course would love to hear feedback from your training sessions :slight_smile: One note though, is that wholesale changes or reverts won’t occur as the lift on that is massive. We can look to weak for sure.

Tablet comes into this, as does accessibility, as does information at a glance, as does discoverability, as does clarity etc.

5. We did consolidate the Library a bit, but can look to make that tighter and have discussed having the default as this, and a compressed option with less negative space.

As always, thanks for the feedback :smiley: We’ll keep doing what we can to iterate and improve and make Dynamo all that it can be, so thank you for adding in your 2-cents to make it so.

3 Likes

Hello @sniken,

I’ve posted a few links to Thomas in the post above re: XAML :slight_smile: Please let me know if that helps and/or what else you are missing to explore making your own modifications to the Dynamo interface.

We can definitely log the request for end-user UI options, but as it stands right now, the effort on creating this has to be balanced against all other things that go into Dynamo :pray: Big focus next is two-fold; Performance and Sharing improvements.

1 Like

Any free form API nodes available in the experimental section? :slight_smile:

Hello @Marcel_Rijsmus - For Dynamo 2.13 only the T-Splines nodes exist in the experimental section.

What kind of free form nodes would you be seeking? How would they look? Behave? What results would they return?

@solamour
bending mulions

1 Like

Revit interaction nodes would need to be a big dynamo for Revit push, not a Dynamo core push. Not saying it can’t be done, but it’d be best raised with that team rather than the Dynamo core team (what this topic around Dynamo 2.13 is about).

I will also note that producing a robust enough system to cover all the features and combinations of use cases which this opens up bring a LOT of complexity with it; that complexity leads to issues of it’s own. A fully robust system would require something like 150-200 nodes by my initial estimates. The Synthesize Toolkit package from @Karam_Baki does a very good job navigating some of those issues and has some awesome nodes for this type of work - worth a look for anyone who isn’t familiar.

3 Likes

Thanks for the tag @jacob.small

And for anyone willing to dive into this, there are 2 main nodes to handle Dynamo to Revit geometry

-K-Family Insert
It gets your geometry into Revit as a family, and it has vast variety of options to alter.
Subcategories, Materials, Is Void or not, …etc

-Dynamo Geometry To Revit Compatibility
It does exactly as the above, but the geometry you’ll get could be a FreeForm or ImportInstance, and it also have lots of other options to alter.

The defaults of both of the above is good enough, you can simply plug in your Geometry, (or SAT file) it understands both.

Also, it works differently based on Revit version, as it harnesses the best of each version, and is continuously improving in each alteration of ShapeImporter Class

Finally, it can also bring some “illegal” stuff, like Loaded Roof, yeah you heard it, a Loaded Roof that you can use to attach your walls with.

You may also use it to mess with other stuff, like converting a whole stairs into Roof, so you may attach your building elements on it.

And if you’re willing to dive deeper, you can also bring Loaded Walls, and parameterize it then load it into a Window that can perform section auto wrapping and other nasty details that are needed for construction projects.

As for @Marcel_Rijsmus image for bending mullions, well it was a result of an extremely complex geometry handling via another set of nodes, called K-Paneling
You may also find and use them in the extra folder of the toolkit:
-Family.K-Paneling Data Import
-Family.K-Paneling Frame
-Family.K-Paneling Glazed By Intersects
-Family.K-Paneling Glazed By Voronoi
-Family.K-Paneling Glazed
-Family.K-Paneling Solid By Intersects
-Family.K-Paneling Solid By Voronoi
-Family.K-Paneling Solid
-FormIt.K-Paneling Frame
-FormIt.K-Paneling Glazed By Voronoi
-FormIt.K-Paneling Glazed
-FormIt.K-Paneling Solid By Voronoi
-FormIt.K-Paneling Solid
-Sandbox.K-Paneling Data Process

They also work with formIt

And Sandbox Dynamo, (But not the latest 2.13 yet, as I have to run through the headache of Python 3)

Hope all the above could help someone who’s struggling with such issues.

9 Likes

Out of curiosity: do you have a public Github or similar for issue reporting, coding help, and the like?

I’m happy @jacob.small took the bait and mentioned you @Karam_Baki and you responded beautifully.
You deserved some extra credits :slight_smile:

-marcel-

2 Likes

Well, I have private channels, but not a Github yet

But am able to receive bug reports through whatsapp with the SOS script :innocent:

And planning to create a notion later on, after I organize the nodes in Synthesize along with it’s dyn graphs to match the latest standards (Descriptions, Preview Images…etc), that’ll take a year of work.

@Marcel_Rijsmus haha thanks man :joy:

6 Likes

The headache of python 3, huh? I was wondering if the next installation of Dynamo would still support order versions. I’m guessing that Dynamo 2.13 may ship with the next hot-fix of Revit 2022. I’m starting to wonder if I should hold off before upgrading. Not all Package Authors may be ready for it and I’m using a lot of thier nodes.

Thanks Sol,

re - interface I found Dynamos GUI really nice in its simplicity / use of color compared to, say GH or Marionette (Vectorworks).
With the xmls I tried to adjust some settings, but I didn’t succeed; I was hoping to get the Nodes a bit more simplified again and ditch the rounded corners:

Well, in the meantime you may install DynamoIronPython2.7 package that allows the support of old Python nodes that were created with IronPython2

Although I noticed some changes in the evaluator of that package refusing to execute some of the nodes even written in IronPython2, especially with the ones that have extremely complex functions…
But good news is that they could be fixed like within a minute when an error is detected.

Also, it varies from package to a package, some are using Zerotouch nodes written in C#, which will have the least impact on these changes (Except for changes in Revit API itself, such as the infamous Units API change), but one thing is for sure now, no more support to Revit 2018 with Dynamo 1.3, at least in Synthesize package.

Hope that helps bringing some ease when upgrading.

4 Likes

Warning texts are no longer selectable, is there a way to copy the error message ?

1 Like

@c.poupin
You can use this simple utility:
https://ramensoftware.com/textify

3 Likes

Thank you for this software.
Note:
The remark I posted was not necessarily for my case, but for Dynamo users who would come to ask for help on the forum and possibly via the forum search engine

I see it, may be will create a pull request to update for that :smiley:
DynamoSandbox_N9AplEj30M

4 Likes

@sniken - If you search for CornerRadius="8,8,0,0" in the XAML files above, you’ll find the Node corner radii. You can simply remove this entire line in the XAML and it will revert back to square corners.

Note: Other parts may have a different radius - i.e. custom node layered folder rounding is CornerRadius="6,6,0,0".

The most comprehensive way to achieve the result you are looking for is to create a custom branch that reverts the nodal UI changes, then update that against the Master build every time we release. Depending on your skill level, this may be a lot of work :pray:

If this is your preferred path, then search the commit history of @oliver.green , Pull requests · DynamoDS/Dynamo · GitHub, which includes all of the Node changes (Note - there is lots of other stuff in there too).

For example, in Node visual refresh updates by OliverEGreen · Pull Request #11933 · DynamoDS/Dynamo · GitHub, 38 files changed which would need some degree of reversion that ensures nothing else breaks. Note - there are quite a few other PR’s after this that edit things, so you’ll want to look for the base states (The bits removed in red) to reinstate.