' Does it fit ? ' challenge

OK a new challenge.
I have a hospital-ward in Revit, and i want to explore the question if i can store all Furniture in this ward in a new location. It has to fit.
This is because i want to move a ward to a new building.
How would you do this?
It is pure fiction for now. just a challenge for the brain and have some fun and learn while at it.

-Marcel-

2 Likes

In a Hospital ward, a group of furniture required for one bad is fixed consider a one unit of furniture and create an surface and calculate the area (orientation & alignment of furniture, free space for one unit, etc), and few furniture are common for all the units in one ward and create the surface and its area.

In new location, try to place the multiple surface (surface for one bad unit, surface for common furniture, etc) on the floor plan and try to find out the best possible way to arrange all the furniture or if space is less, then calculate max amount of furniture that can be placed on that particular floor plan.

1 Like

Very nice, what Packages do i need?

Currently i dont know,
once we start writing the script and applying the logics, then we get to know about actual package required for completing this task, or may be we need to create some custom package or python script for completing this task.

But as we are doing space planning and allocation, So roughly i can say we might required “Dynaspace” and i found few study material for space planning and we can also refer there packages, what other person has used it in there project.

1 Like

If storing temporarily, you might consider using the VASA package and a voxel consumption setup.

If you need to keep actively using them, you would need to do Ana analysis of the existing layout to find a ‘similar count’ and arrangement of spaces well before you get to furnishings.

1 Like

@jacob.small
Since this is just a scenario “In the brain”, could you elaborate on what those are?
VASA nor voxel rings a bell.
I also have put this exercise under the Share Tag so people can learn, as obviously i must.

Voxel: Divide the space (even where things are not) into cubes… think pixel art, 8 but video games, or Minecraft.

VASA = Voxel Based Architectural Space Analysis, a package created by Autodesk research and launched last month. More info here: Introducing VASA, a tool for Voxel-based Architectural Space Analysis - Through the Interface

2 Likes

This reminds me of the Moving Van question that was proposed for the base project file furniture, via John Pierson.
Miscellany package appears to bin geometry into specific-sized parcels for analysis.

Initial questions I would have:

• Serviceability? Does the new location require ready access/use of furniture?
  • Stackability? Can/should furniture be analyzed for height-stacking?
3 Likes

Now we’ are talking

Great questions… in the end as with everything: the best technical solution will depend on what you really want to do.

In applying or building custom tech, if you say ‘yeah but what about’ more than once in a demo it’s not the tech that is the issue, but the ability to clearly define the need.

Sometimes this is a good thing. The act of design is iterative: try, evaluate, try again. Sometimes it’s not a good thing. The built element has to fit in the space or we are going to have buy all that stuff to build it again.

2 Likes

Architects go beyond what is possible if they can.

I’ll simplify this for myself as a test to check the number of hospital beds (with adequate clearance) different spaces can accommodate. Can then compare.
A reasonable first step ?

1 Like

By all means