Determine if a solid has holes

So i’m trying to find a way to determine if a solid has a hole inside of it

For example, in this picture we can see that the solid has a hole inside of it.
How do i get that in dynamo?

Thank you!

i tried something

You could examine the perimeter curves of each face. Group the curves into curve loops. Faces with more than one curve loop have an opening/recess.

3 Likes

This is a fast, not very elegant, valid for one object at a time, script. The idea is the same suggested by @Andreas_Dieckmann, you can use Loops property to get the boundaries of your faces. If you get more loops that faces, than you have a hole.

import clr

clr.AddReference('RevitAPI')
from Autodesk.Revit.DB import *
from Autodesk.Revit.DB.Structure import *

clr.AddReference('DSCoreNodes')
import DSCore
from DSCore import *

element = UnwrapElement(IN[0])
faces = []
loops = []

for elements in element:
faces.append(elements)
a = elements.Loops
loops.append(a)

r = List.Flatten(faces,1)
c = len(r)

t = List.Flatten(loops,1)
d = len(t)

if c == d:
out = "no holes"
else:
out = "it has holes"

OUT = out

It’s a just a draft, it has to be improved a lot, for example allowing multiple input, but one has to start from something :wink:

1 Like

What is a curve loop? how do i implement that?

Unfortunately i can’t improve this code… i don’t know anything about the revit API

Loops are the boundaries of the solid faces. If a face has one hole, it has two boundaries: one outside (the face) and one inside (the hole).
Maybe someone can help, or I will try in the next days

1 Like

This should work:

import clr

clr.AddReference('RevitAPI')
from Autodesk.Revit.DB import *
from Autodesk.Revit.DB.Structure import *

clr.AddReference('DSCoreNodes')
import DSCore
from DSCore import *

element = IN[0]
result = []

for walls in element:
	loops = []
	faces = []	
	for face in walls:
		loop = face.Loops
		loops.append(loop)
		faces.append(face)

c = len(List.Flatten(faces,1))
	d = len(List.Flatten(loops,1))

if c == d:
		result.append(False)
	else:
		result.append(True)

OUT = result

It did exactly what is ment to do. However it didnt work. For instance,

The highlighted door has a hole in it, but the code said it didn’t. I think that the semanthics of the code is not the proper one for this application.

Anyway, i’m really thankfull for all your help

It depens on what you consider as a hole. I attach a picture to better explain:

In my opinion a hole is only case #2. I consider #3 and #4 to have a non-rectangular outline, but I would not say they have a hole.

I understand what you mean, but in order to get a script, we need first a definition. A script based on how many faces has a solid doesn’t work, because you can have irregular walls.

Maybe a different approach would be to find out if a wall is hosting a door/window/etc…? But that would work for Revit walls, not for generic solids.

1 Like

If we’re talking Revit elements you could actually just compare the original geometry with the actual geometry of the element:

4 Likes

All these solutions are great work but we won’t know which is best because we were never told why it was needed…

@ramoon.bandeira would you be able to explain a bit more? It may be that the best solution is something completely different :slight_smile:

Apologies for butting in,

Mark

1 Like

I need to get all the walls in revit that has a hole of walls or windows inside of it. it is necessary for the budgeting workflow we use here in our city.

I managed to get both the walls that serve as hosts for walls and windows, and the joined walls for that.
I filtered the walls that were joined to it and was not paralell to the original wall. it is going well so far… but this last step i cant overcome…

1 Like

i’ll check it out
!

It worked. THANK YOU!!!

1 Like

I was playing a little mindgame just now
A wall that has had a door, but was later filled in by a wall (same type)

:slight_smile:

Is there a hidden bar behind it? I’ll have a Scotch and toast you guys :slight_smile: Zach Kron knows the handshake!

Filter by demolition phase perhaps?

2 Likes