Deprecated Rhythm node?

I’ve got Rhythm 2018.6.7 installed & now I’m getting a “Node not found” for
GetParameterValueByNameAsString
Has that node been removed from that version of Rhythm?
(Please forgive me for not finding this info on github. Does anyone had a primer on github & how to understand version control there?)

I presume that node has been replaced by something else (OOTB?), but I tried the built-in Element.GetParameterValueByName
That node works, but sometime requires an additional “String from Object” node

1 Like

Yeah I dropped that node. Sorry about that. :grimacing:

In regards to “An Intro to GitHub”, I don’t know of anything that is really geared towards our industry. I actually proposed an AU class for this, so hopefully it gets the votes needed or whatever. :slight_smile:

The alternate method to use is the one you indicated, (that is actually all my node did),

Apologies for the few broken nodes lately as well. I am working on getting rid of all DYFs from my package as it is far easier for me to manage/update when all of the nodes are ZeroTouch(C#). This has also resulted in my package being managed primarily on BitBucket for the C# stuff and on GitHub for the other nodes.

Adding to this complexity are the changes in Dynamo 2.0.x versus 1.3.x. I am trying to get ready for an upgrade but want to make sure to have backwards compatibility. Getting rid of the DYFs helps ensure this.The reason being, I really do not want to have Rhythm for Dynamo 1.3.x and Rhythm for Dynamo 2.0.x.

1 Like

Yeah, there’s something going on with the package manager and the latest nodes. My dynamo 2.0 will barely even open and crashes every…single…time…I try to do something. Lunchbox is having similar problems, Nate just posted something. Not sure what happened but not too happy about it.
Thanks for your quick responsiveness John!

2 Likes

How is the user experience managing your package in this manner though? Most users will not go to Github to download a package from the releases page.

The package manager (as broken as it is), is a simple way for a user to just install a package without having to figure out a lot of other things.

-John

Long met the Dynamo team at a Hackathon in Munich (and knew them previously I am pretty sure). He developed Dynashape at that hackathon using quite a bit of guidance from the team and libraries supplied by the Open Source community. Saying he hasn’t contributed anything is pretty unfair to be honest. Also, I am pretty sure he became a moderator primarily to interact with his post regarding development announcements of Dynashape.

That being said, the package manager definitely needs work and I agree 100% on that. I do feel that it needs this work because the Dynamo team didn’t expect us all to use it in the manner we are. I spoke with the team once and they originally thought people would share “one-off” DYFs on it, and not whole suites of packages. :slight_smile: I think this is a good thing because we(the Dynamo community) are showing them how we want to use their software, and that can definitely lead to change.

I agree with @john_pierson, there is no reason to take shots at Long here. He has done nothing wrong.

There is a reason he’s using GitHub Releases for this. His package as far as I know uses a View Extension to interact with the 3D Preview. These extensions have to be installed into a different folder than one that normal packages go into, hence Package Manager is not suitable for distribution.

2 Likes