Copy Sheets with Views between Revit models

There are no drawings. You’re looking at a database. What do you mean with “this is what we always did” you’re talking about a AutoCAD workflow? You can make new sheets and automatic place views on it. Connect viewtemplates to them. Dynamo can read the naming of the sheets from an Excel file. I’m studying on this subject right now. But I’m a newby. So I have to learn a lot. But is fun to learn!

10 Likes

Hi @marcom

Did you find any solution for what you needed?

Best regads

Actually I was thinking about something like this this morning and as far as I know other programs like Archicad allow to do that.

Somebody suggested yesterday in the office to replace the whole model by an updated one and recreate again hundreds of sheets/views in the new model… No way.

As far as both models are similar (same view templates, coordinates system and location, etc. ) like a different version of the same project is perfectly feasible.

A view is basically a ‘window’ to the model with some extra properties.
If the needed properties from an existing view are extracted and another view is created with the same properties in another model, it should work.

The more relevant properties are the CropBox, view name, view template, type of view… I believe everything that is needed can be read and written in dynamo.

For instance these are a few of the view properties snooped with RevitLookup addin:

2 Likes

What about all the view based elements (annotations)?

Well, detail items, regions, plan regions, annotations, tags… would require copy and paste aligned to the same place. I think it’s possible with all 2D elements in general.

Graphics overrides and hidden in view elements would be a bigger problem. And all those cheats, masking and faking, specific graphics controlled by vv and not the view template… wouldn’t be easy to replicate.

I’ve been burnt by corruption moving between models too many times to reccomend copy/paste as a method (the safety checks are non existent when using copy paste). You’d be safer if you created the elements anew after reading their location, parameters and all that jazz. More work but a LOT safer. View templates can be transferred using transfer project standards and applied afterwards. Masking regions may not yet be exposed in the API so that’s an issue. Plan regions are what will really kill you. Oh and I believe that your interior elevation tags will be four sheet boxes per triangle… ick.

Where can I get this Node?

Which node?

Does this node Exist ?

I believe the node in question is the “utilities.sheetandviewtransfer” node shown above in the post by @Thomas_Mahon. Is this available anywhere?

@Thomas_Mahon, is this available somewhere, even if it’s for purchase?

@JustinStirling I’ve had a few other requests so I’m planning on allocating some resources to it and restarting the development. I only took it to alpha and I had other projects which started and I put this project on hold ever since.

I can’t give you any dates not unless you need it urgently and I can prioritise it. I wont be releasing this as a Dynamo node, it will be developed as a full Revit add-in with a fancy UI.

DM me to discuss further if you’re still interested.

5 Likes