Cannot call this method without a back buffer

Does anyone ran it a issue like that? It’s not blocking the routine from running, but it’s annoying

Thank you in advance for any guess that helps to resolve :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have no idea what might cause this problem, but maybe you could share your revit and dynamo files so we (the community) can take a look.

By any chance are you using a remote connection to access the system which Dynamo is running on? Or is this running locally on your laptop/desktop?

1 Like

Hey, Thanks for the answers.
@Daan, I don’t think the file itself has any influence because it is a specific computer that is experiencing this problem (a colleague’s computer). But in mine for example (which I also use remote access) dynamo works within the expected normal.

And yes @jacob.small I’m using remote access, is that the reason for the problem?

1 Like

Well, not the reason but the only way I have seen it.

give this a shot…
under device manager, disable your graphics adapter.

Sorry, I don’t know if I understood correctly. I didn’t find the place to disable the graphics adapter :confused: (This configuration must be done on the remote computer, right?)

I’m also facing this problem and it won’t let me see the background 3D preview on Dynamo canvas.
You can search for Device Manager in start menu and look for Graphics Adapter. I didn’t try myself due to permission restrictions on remote system.

1 Like

Thanks for the answer, found out that there are permission restrictions on remote system over here too

1 Like

It’s likely that those restrictions are preventing Dynamo from self starting a required component. :frowning:

2 Likes

any fix for this?

Are you in a virtualized environment?

Yes, I’m RDP’d into another workstation.

Have you tried this?

hello, I am having this issue and i would like to try this method. Do you mean disable the display adapter? and if so would that be the remote display adapter?
I don’t want to accidentally do this and totally break something haha!

Hello. Have you found the answer to how this issue can be resolved? Or device manage/graphics adapter is the only solution? Please advise.

I had the same problem with Revit 2021.1.3.

Cycling the graphics card corrected the problem.

Path: Device Manager >> Display adapters >> Graphics card >> Disable device.

Please note, close Revit prior to disabling the graphics card. If Revit is not closed cycling the graphics card will crash Revit.

This discrepancy was not present in Revit 2020. What happened in Revit 2021 to generate this behavior?

Best wishes,
Jake

Revit 2021 introduced the real time rendering, but nothing significant changed on the Dynamo side of things as far as display goes. The real time rendering could be impacting it, but it’s more likely that your CPU wasn’t seeing a need to use the discrete card, but utilized the integrated card instead. This card can keep up in some cases, but not necessarily when it is already stressed by other applications (big Revit models, other AEC software, more complex Dynamo graphs, running a Chrome window with 200 tabs that have cycling videos draining resources non-stop, etc.).

Thanks for your reply.

My knowledge about how CPUs manage graphics cards is nil. However, it doesn’t seem like Revit allows an arbitrary switch between graphics assets.

If the graphics card is cycled when Revit 2021 is open it forces Revit 2021 to cycle one way or another. After a cycle Dynamo returns to normal. But the state of the system is not maintained between RDP sessions. As a result, the graphics card has to be cycled for each RDP session cycle.

All in all, odd behavior given RDP is a repeating service. As far as I can tell, RDP does not have much to do with setting the state of the host system.

-Jake

While Revit doesn’t arbitrarily switch, Windows will with modern processors.

RDP means you’re in a non-standard operating environment, and the means used for such connection will mater quite a bit. As such you should get your IT team to ensure that the graphics card is always in use when utilizing the RDP.